I know you want the absolute best for your dog or horse. From finding a great vet to the perfect photographer to investing in pet products from companies whose business practices resonate with you, where you spend your money matters. You want the best for your budget and also to do business with someone whose values align with your own.
When it comes to photography, finding someone you are comfortable with is just as important as your budget, personal style and aesthetic.
So....if you’ve recently found someone you think would be the perfect photographer for you, here’s a list of questions to ask before hiring them. Of course, you can always ask ME these questions as well! (wink!)
What To Ask When You Find a Pet Photographer You Like
- Do they work in a studio or on location?
- Are they calm and patient around animals?
- How have they handled energetic, stressed-out, shy, or reactive dogs or horses?
- Can they work on-leash if need be (and perhaps edit the leash out)?
- What packages and types of photos do they offer – print, digital, etc.?
- What's the approximate cost with everything included?
- Do you like their portfolio and style of photography? Does it match your personal style?
- Do they understand pet body language and cues?
- Have they ever dealt with a pet with your special circumstance (age, ability, medical condition, fear, anxiety, etc.)?
- What if I have specific goals in mind for a photo session, how will we work together to get the outcome I envision?
In my experience, pet professionals LOVE talking about their jobs and LOVE making sure they are a good fit for the animal and family.
- don't rely solely on email exchanges, get on the phone or even better a video call to talk in real-time to get your questions and concerns answered.
- check for and read reviews from previous clients
Doing research and supporting businesses that align with your values can instill a sense of pride about how and who you support.
There you have it! My go-to recommendations when hiring the best photographer for you. If you have any questions or want to learn more about my photography services, I’m always happy to talk and see how I can help. Contact me anytime!