Supporting Local Pet-preneurs!
I'm happy to introduce you to a new pet-related business based in Sugar Land, Texas. Read on to learn more about Marta DeFex and her vision behind her new business, Pawsitive Relations.
Tell us a little bit about yourself and your doggie, Clarita.
My name is Marta De Fex and I’m the proud Mom of the “elegant” Clarita. Clarita is a Shepherd mix and was adopted when she was about a year and a half old. She was shy and aloof when we brought her home but with time, training, and patience, her sweet and playful personality came shining through. Clarita is an incredible warrior and cancer survivor.
On a personal level, I grew up watching my Mom regularly volunteering at a local dog rescue center – at the time it was a very uncommon thing to do. Dogs have always been family members and loyal companions during my life’s ups and downs; it’d be near impossible to imagine my life without them! I live in Sugar land, Texas and I love the cultural diversity of this city!
What was your motivation for starting your business?
As a life-long animal lover, and a regular volunteer at different animal shelters, “the call” to take a more active and professional role in the community was loud and undeniable! In 2012, I established PAWSITIVE RELATIONS - an organization whose mission is to enhance and support the well-being and relationships with our beloved animal companions.
How did you come up with the name for your company?
Pets are a vital part of our family and society. Thus, we need to find ways to achieve this “pawsitive relationship”. Our goal is to help create a positive, harmonious relationship with our animal companions through education. That’s what the name Pawsitive Relations conveys. When adopting a new puppy or kitty, they don't automatically come with an instruction manual. Consequently, it’s very easy for pet parents to end up frustrated which contributes to pet surrendering and abandonment. Humane education is crucial to creating a happy home with our pets, which in turn benefits our communities and helps prevent full shelters and the stray pet overpopulation.
What services do you offer?
Pawsitive Relations is centered on education – we offer group classes, individual sessions, and private consultations. Class topics vary from how to choose the right pet for your family, obedience and training skills, teaching manners between pets and children, and illness prevention and wellness. We also offer Pet CPR and First AID - it’s of vital importance to learn how to assess and respond when emergencies occur.
Our Pet Loss and Grief Support Group provide a safe, compassionate, and welcoming setting in which pet parents can comfortably share their feelings. Our Pet Loss Support Group meets over zoom on the second Thursday of every month.
Some other things we offer include:
- Tellington Ttouch® | Positive Reinforcement Dog Training: A “Positive /no fear/no force” training of touch and movement that reduces stress, and tension, creates body awareness, builds confidence, balance, and teaches your canine companion how to think and act versus react.
- Canine Therapeutic Massage
- Bach Flower Therapy and Aromatherapy
- Favorite Writers: Fr. Murray Bodo, Caroline Myss, Clarissa Pinkola Estes, the Poet Hafez
- Personal Heroes: St. Francis of Assisi and Jane Goodall
- What do you collect: I collect frog figurines!
- Personal Motto: "First do what is necessary, then do what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible."
- Describe a perfect day: Being in a state of gratitude, the gift, and joy of sharing the big and small moments with my beloved dogs is simply heaven on earth!
To learn more about Pawsitive Relations or to sign up for a class, visit: