Does your dog ever get bored? When our pup Winston gets bored he starts pestering our other dogs to play, and because they are older, they prefer to nap!
Dogs can get tired of the same old, same old—which is why it’s important to keep them busy with fun toys, puzzles, and more! DIY toys are a great way to keep things interesting for your dog. Making your own toys can be a fun and inexpensive way to keep your pup's mind occupied!
A quick word about DIYing dog toys: do your research. Make sure you are using materials that are non-toxic or that could break into small pieces and could be a choking hazard.
Check out these 3 super fun, boredom-busting toys any dog will love
- T-Shirt Rope Toy: If you're like me, you have a ton of old t-shirts. Instead of using them as wash rags for your car, just tie them in knots for your dog!
- Muffin Tin Game: I'm super excited to try this one out this summer! Grab a muffin tin, tennis balls, and your dog’s favorite treats! Randomly add treats and cover them with tennis balls. Your dog will need to sniff and paw out their reward! This is great for mental stimulation.
- DIY Snuffle Mat: Snuffle mats are so much fun tried one with and let's your dog "hunt" for treats. There are a lot of creative ones out there. Here’s one example: DIY Snuffle Mat
- Pupsicles! Popsicles for dogs! There are so many great recipes out there. My dogs love yogurt and berries.The Dog Bakery has some awesome pupsicle recipes to try out
- Go Fishing: Our dog Winston looooooves this game! Make a fishing pole with a slim PVC pipe, rope, and your dog’s squeaky toy attached to the end as the bait. Go fishing for… your dog. Make it extra fun by using a toy that treats will fall out of!
Some signs of apparent boredom, like lethargy and lack of appetite, could be a sign of anxiety or an unseen health issue. If your pup acts disinterested or doesn’t perk up when invited to play, it’s time to check with your veterinarian.
Got a cool DIY dog toy you think other doggies would go woof for? Tag me @kellyjrusso on Instagram!